Dr. Waleed was born in Alexandria, Egypt and is currently residing in Minnesota. Currently the shaykh is a senior member of the Permanent Fatwa Committee, of the Assembly of Muslim Jurists in America (AMJA), vice president of the Islamic University of Minnesota, Member of the Educational Committee at the American Open University, Imam and president of the board of trustees of Dar-al-Farooq Islamic Center, and a member of the board of trustees of the North American Imams Federation (NAIF).
He received his Bachelor Degree in Arabic Language from Alexandria University in Egypt, and his Master’s degree in Islamic Jurisprudence from the American Open University with the highest honors (summa cum laude), and his PhD in Islamic Jurisprudence from the Graduate Theological Foundation.
Amongst the scholars that the shaykh studied with were shaykh Ben Baaz, shaykh Ben Uthaymeen, shaykh Ben Jibrin and was the recipient of two letters of recommendations (تزكيتان) from both Sheikh Abd al-Razzaq Afifi who was the vice president of the permanent committee for Islamic research and Fatwa in Saudi Arabia and Saleh Al-Sheikh who is currently the minister of Islamic endowments and propagation in Saudi Arabia.
Shaykh Waleed memorized the Quran in the ten recitations according to the Shatebia and Dorra methods, as well as the Tayyeba method. He also completed the four Shawaadh (irregular) recitations. He received Ijaazah (certificate of transmission) of by many scholars with continuous chains linked to Prophet Muhammad (PBUH). The chain of narrators of Dr. Waleed is of the shortest to the Prophet (PBUH).
Some of the publications by the shaykh:
- Rules of Proving and Seeing the New Moons, PhD Dissertation.
- The Impact of the Differences of the Fourteen modes of recitation on the Islamic Creed and Jurisprudence, Master’s Thesis.
- The summary of the as-Siraat al-Mustaqeem
- Biography and Collection of Fatwas’ issued by Shaykh Abdul Razak Ofaify
- Poetry on Islamic Laws of Inheritance and commentary
- Poetry on the Science of Quranic Recitation
- Etthaaf as-Suhba bi-Rewayat Shu’ba (Poetry)
- Judicial Work Outside of the Islamic State